Dec 15, 2010

in the name of Barney.

post by dawn garcia |

“I believe in Michaelangelo, Velasquez, and Rembrandt; in the might of design, the mystery of color, the redemption of all things by BEAUTY everlasting, and the message of ART that has made these hands blessed. Amen. Amen.” 
                   - George Bernard Shaw
The beauty he speaks of only dwells in art. And artists.

You know when you wake up and you realize, holy shit! I got a second chance! I can breathe, I can open up the valves of my heart, the content of my brain, the fare within my soul and it will NOT be unappreciated. Well, I do. At least this morning. I don’t know how it happens that we all get lost in the chaos of life and the past, which, let’s face it - haunts most of us, but somehow there is redemption. But only if (and no, I’m not about to talk about god. Mainly because, well, I’m just not) if you’re willing to confront your demons and right wrongs and swallow your pride and willingly remove the foot from your mouth, an entirely enveloping world of beauty presents itself. I have been doing precisely that. Some people were hurt in the process but I was a huge red flag from the get-go. My heart cannot be swayed. It knows where it’s home is. There is a saying, “there is no greater sacrifice than love”. At least I think that’s what it was.

I also woke up this morning with this new excitement to finish this damn screenplay. I say damn, but in truth getting to write my first feature - AND it happens to be a passion project - is pretty damn great. (Damn. Again with that word. Still, better than others - though if I’m going to be honest my favorite curse word begins with f and ends with k. And I digress.) So back to the newfound excitement. My Christmas gift to myself is a completed 1st draft of my screenplay. I am at page 135 and while that sounds impressive, the daunting reality is I have to write another 75 and then cut it down to 150. Because aside from LOTR, most people will not sit through a movie longer than 2 and a half hours. My take, however, is at least you feel like your $12 or $50 (however much movie tickets are going to go for once it’s produced) was worth it. More bang for your buck so to speak.

Ok, so in addition to waking up all jovial and a true “woo” girl in the name of all things Barney Stinson, I also had an epiphany. What if - and go with me here - we just put all of the bigots, racists, narcissists (well, actually those guys are fun, we’ll keep them), pedophiles, gang members, murderers, and political morons on an island? Then, we place cameras everywhere and we watch it all unravel. Or TiVo because really, it will most likely run at 8p and it’s more fun to watch later and fast forward through marketing schemes. (And because I would probably start believing that the cows in California really do sing old Partridge Family tunes). Then, we see how quickly someone activates a nuke. I’m guessing it would certainly be shorter than the many seasons of LOST and hey, I’d totally watch. Down side, remnants of the nuke but it would be really far away and once the wildlife and sea creatures got wind of who occupied the island they’d flee faster than you can fu—- see? Already gone.

That’s all for now.

Subscribe